Wine Braised Chicken Thighs
A few words...Let’s time stamp this recipe. Still in quarantine and I now drink on a regular basis..lol. I might as well start cooking with it also
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsps Tastic spice*
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices to make the spice mixture.
- Pat chicken dry and season well with spice blend on both sides (make sure to lift skin up and rub some of the spice mixture underneath.) Leave aside for 20 minutes or refrigerate uncovered for 2 hours if you have the time.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 to 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking (be sure to coat the bottom well with the EVOO.) Add chicken, skin side down, and cook undisturbed for 8 minutes until golden brown (lower heat if it starts to smoke excessively.) Turn chicken over and brown on the other side briefly (about 3 minutes). Transfer chicken to a plate for now.
- To the pot, add shallots and garlic. Cook briefly over medium heat until softer and fragrant. Stir in tomato paste, wine, and broth. Add bay leaves, star anise and 1 tsp dry rosemary. Season with a pinch of Tastic. Bring to a simmer for 4 minutes or so.
- Tuck them babies into the liquid, making sure the liquid covers only 3/4 of the chicken thighs leaving the skins exposed. Add dry figs (or apricots) to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
- Transfer chicken to oven and cook, uncovered, until totally tender and liquid has reduced by about half, about 40-45 minutes (Check half way through to be sure liquid is okay, you should still have some liquid in the end.)
- While chicken is cooking, heat a small non stick pan, adding a very small drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Add mushrooms and saute.
- About 10 minutes or before the chicken has finished cooking, add mushrooms. Return to oven for those last 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Finish with lemon juice and a garnish of fresh parsley.
- Serve them with whatevs.. Rice, potatoes, etc.. It’s your call :)
* Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE