Triple Chocolate Sticky Buns
Major Key: You can do add-ins like caramel, white chocolate, butterscotch...you name it!
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
For the Dough
1 egg plus 1 yolk
2/3 cup milk
3 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 packet of rapid-rise yeast
3 tbsps sugar
1 1/2 tsps salt
6 tbsps unsalted butter, cut into big chunks
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 tbsps unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
2 tbsps water
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 ozs bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 tbsps unsalted butter
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1. For the flour paste Whisk milk and flour in a small bowl until no lumps remain. Microwave, whisking every 25 seconds, until mixture thickens to stiff paste, 50 to 75 seconds. Whisk until smooth.
2. For the dough In stand mixer bowl, whisk flour paste and milk until smooth. Add egg and yolk and whisk until incorporated. Add flour and yeast. Using a dough hook, mix on low until a bowl forms and all flour is moistened, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off mixer, cover bowl and wrap with plastic. Let stand for 15 minutes.
3. Add sugar and salt to dough. Knead on medium-low speed for 5 minutes. Add butter and continue to knead until incorporated, scraping down dough hook and bowl as needed (dough will be sticky), about 5 minutes.
4. Transfer dough to lightly floured counter and knead briefly to form ball. Transfer, seam side down, to greased large bowl, cover tightly with plastic, and let rise at room temp until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
5. For the topping Meanwhile, whisk all ingredients in bowl until combined. Spray a baking pan with oil spray. Pour topping into prepared pan and use rubber spatula to spread to edges of pan; sent aside.
6. For the filling About 30 minutes before dough is done rising, microwave bittersweet chocolate and butter in bowl, stirring occasionally, until melted and combined, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate until firm, about 20-30 minutes.
7. Transfer dough to lightly floured counter and lightly flour top of dough. Roll and stretch to form 18 by 15 rectangle. Sprinkle evenly with Tastic spice sweet. Stir bittersweet chocolate mixture with rubber spatula until smooth and spreadable (mixture should have similar texture to frosting). Using a spatula, spread mixture over entire surface of dough, leaving 1-inch border along top edge. Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.
8. Beginning with long edge nearest you, loosely roll dough away from you into even log, pushing in ends to create even thickness. Pinch seam to seal. Slice into 12 equal portions. Place buns in prepared pan in 3 rows of four. Cover tightly with plastic and let rise at room temp until buns are puffy and touching, about another hour.
9. Preheat over to 375. Place buns on top rack and bake until golden on top, about 20 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and continue to bake until center buns are cooked through, about 15 minutes longer.
10. Carefully remove foil from pan and immediately run knife around edge of pan. Place large platter or second rimmed baking sheet over pan and carefully invert pan and sheet. Remove pan and let buns cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones