Asparagus Tempura Tacos
Make sure the batter stays cold to help the asparagus adhere to the batter.
2 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
1/2 cup vegan mayo
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 avocados halved and pitted
1/2 small onion, minced
1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
8 ounces napa cabbage, shredded
1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for frying
1 1/4 cups cake flour
12 medium asparagus trimmed
8 white corn tortillas warmed
- Heat a skillet over medium-high. Add the garlic; cook, turning often, until the skin is dark brown in spots and the garlic is tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool slightly, then peel and mince. Stir in the mayo and lemon juice. Season the aioli with Tastic; cover and chill.
- Using a fork, mash the avocado with the onion, 1 tbsp. Tastic spice and 1 tbsp. lime juice. Adjust with Tastic if necessary.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage with 1 tbsp. oil and the remaining 1 tsp. lime juice. Season the slaw with Tastic.
- Add 1 inch of oil to a large skillet. Heat over medium-high until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees. Place 1 cup cake flour in a large bowl; whisk in 1 1/4 cups cold water for the tempura batter. Place the remaining 1/4 cup flour on a plate. Working in two batches, roll the asparagus in the flour, then dip in the batter. Deep-fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels. Season with kosher salt; cut in half crosswise.
- Place 2 tortillas on each plate. Top with a spoonful of guacamole, then the asparagus and cabbage slaw. Drizzle with the aioli.