SWEET POTATO CHURROS
MAJOR KEY: Don't try toss them when they are cold as the sugar won't stick as well! And you don’t have to use a piping bag and tip. A large ziplock bag with the tip cut off makes a fine substitute.
- 1/2 a cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 a cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups flour, sifted
- ½ cup sweet potato, boiled and mashed (skin off)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Oil, for deep-frying
- 1/2 cup Tastic sweet
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1. Heat the butter, water and salt in a large pot over a medium heat. Bring to a slight boil, reduce the heat and add the flour, stirring constantly, over a low heat, until it makes a smooth paste. (Work those arms)
2. Stir in the sweet potato, mixing well. Remove from heat.
3. Using an electronic mixer, add eggs, one at a time, beating well. When the eggs have all been incorporated, stir in the vanilla and brandy.
4. Place a small bowl over a pot with simmering water. Break your chocolate and butterscotch in and let sit over the heat for 5 minutes. Turn the heat down and fold in the chocolate. Once melted turn off the heat and let it sit ready for dunking.
5. Heat your oil in a deep pan. If you put a wooden spoon in and you see fine bubbles around the wood, the oil is ready.
6. Use a large piping bag with a star nozzle to pipe out 10cm long churros. Cut them with scissors as you pipe them. Deep-fry them being careful they do not go too brown. Two minutes either side should be enough.
7. Place Tastic sweet in a shallow medium dish. Toss the Churros gently in the mixture and serve warm and ready to dunk into you chocolate.
* Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE