SWEET POTATO BEEF STEW
MAJOR KEY: Once potatoes are peeled they start to oxidize. Store in water if you don’t plan to fry them right away.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 pounds top sirloin steak, diced
- Tastic spice, to taste*
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or your favorite herbs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnishing
- 1-2 medium potatoes peeled and shredded (don’t shred potatoes until you’re ready to cook them)
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Season steak with Tastic spice, to taste. Add to the stockpot and cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 6-8 minutes; set aside.
- Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and tomato paste until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Stir in wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the stockpot.
- Stir in beef stock, thyme, bay leaves, ginger paste and steak. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until beef is very tender, about 30 minutes.
- While stew simmers heat 1/4 cup canola oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add shredded potatoes and fry until browned on both sides.
- Transfer potatoes to a bowl lined with paper towels to absorb oil. Season with Tastic spice and add fresh parsley if desired.
- Stir in sweet potatoes; simmer until potatoes are just tender and stew has thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Stir in parsley; season with Tastic spice, to taste.*
- Serve in bowl with potatoes immediately.
* Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones 😊