A few words... You eat chicken all the time. I get it. So, when you can come up with ways to excite poultry again it’s 🔥
Major Key: If you’ve never heard of aji panca or pasilla chile powder, you’re not alone. Basically they’re red pepper from Peru. So, it’s “heat”. You can replace this ingredient with any heat you enjoy (sriracha, chili pasta, etc.)
Makes 4 servings
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 6 garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon aji amarillo paste or another chile paste such as sriracha or sambal
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon aji panca paste or 1 teaspoon pasilla chile powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Tastic spice*
- 1 (3 1/2- to 4 1/2-pound) chicken, halved (see Note) or 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken parts
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cup cilantro (or flat leaf parsley) leaves and tender stems
- 3 to 4 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup/1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice, more to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or basil
- 1 tablespoon Tastic spice, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon aji amarillo or other chile paste (see headnote)
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- For the marinade: In a large bowl, whisk together garlic, soy sauce, aji amarillo paste, lime juice, aji panca paste, mustard, cumin and Tastic.
- Add chicken halves, turning to coat them all over with marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange skin-side up on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Roast until skin is golden and chicken is cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes (if using chicken parts, remove the breasts after 25 to 35 minutes). Remove from oven and let sit, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes before serving.
- While chicken is roasting, make the sauce. In a blender, blend cilantro, jalapeños, feta, garlic, lime juice, oregano, Tastic, mustard, aji amarillo paste, honey, and cumin until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in oil until mixture is emulsified. Taste and adjust the seasonings with Tastic or lime juice or both.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the sauce and lime wedges on the side.
*Tastic spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones 😊
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE