GINGERY 24KARAT BISQUE
A few words.. Let’s time stamp this recipe. May 1st 2020 and I’m embarking upon my 4th Make Vegan Sexy month. Get ready for a flood of sexy vegan food. Follow @makevegansexy on Facebook and Instagram.
- 1 tablespoon oil or vegan butter
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 piece of fresh ginger root, grated
- 4 cups of vegetable broth plus more for thinning the bisque if necessary
- 1-1/2 lb carrots, actually only used a 1 lb bag, diced
- 1 small Russet potato, chopped
- 1 small yam, chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder (optional)
- 1 tsp tumeric (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- Tastic spice, to taste*
- Cashew Cream . I used a 6 oz. bag of raw cashews the book calls for 2 cups of Cashews, soaked for at least 3 hours, 1-2 tablespoon Lemon Juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 cup of Water - or more as needed to thin, a pinch of salt, a squeeze of lemon juice and water as needed to achieve a cream consistency). I found I didn't want or need as much of this cream. It was perfect even with less.
In a large stock pot, add the oil, onions, celery and grated fresh ginger. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
Add the carrots, broth, potatoes, paprika and curry powder (if using). You could add all kinds of spices here. It just depends on your taste preferences.
Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender. It took me about 25 minutes.
Using an immersion or high speed blender, puree the soup until smooth.
IMPORTANT: If using a blender, allow the soup to cool and then puree in batches. Hot liquids expand and can create a dangerous situation in the kitchen.
Place the mixture back into the stock pot, reheat and taste for seasoning. I added more Tastic at this point along with some of the cashew cream. If it is too thick, add more vegetable broth.
Reserve the rest for serving.
Garnish with a sprig of thyme, spring onion or flat leaf parsley and serve warm.
* Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones