MAJOR KEY: You do not have to use buttermilk if you don't have it. However, you can make buttermilk at home. Take 1 cup of milk add 1 tbsp of white vinegar OR 1 tbsp lemon juice. Combine, let it sit for 10 minutes and you have buttermilk. Remember, buttermilk is just "soured" milk.
FUNFETTI BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
6 tbsps (unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 tsps pure vanilla paste, not extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
2/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp pure vanilla paste
1–2 Tablespoons milk
extra rainbow sprinkles for serving
1. Melt the 6 tablespoons of butter first. Microwave or stovetop – either is fine. Set aside to slightly cool. You absolutely do not want it piping hot.
2. In a large bowl, toss the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until combined. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and almond extracts together until combined. Whisk in the melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk by hand gently to combine the ingredients. The batter is thick and a few lumps may remain. Very very gently, fold in the rainbow sprinkles using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Taste the batter. If you want to add more almond (or vanilla) extract, go ahead.
4. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Coat generously with butter. Once hot, drop about 1/4 cup of batter on the griddle. Cook until the edges look dry and bubbles begin to form on the sides, about 1 minute. Flip and cook on the other side until cooked through, about 2 more minutes. Coat griddle/skillet again with butter for each pancake or batch of pancakes.
5. Keep pancakes warm in a preheated 200°F oven until all pancakes are cooked. Quickly whisk the icing ingredients together in a medium bowl until smooth. Start with 1 tablespoon of milk and add 1 more to thin out, if necessary.
6. Serve pancakes immediately with icing and extra sprinkles on top.
* Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones