Deep Fried PB & J
Motivation: Your motivation is this: decadence.
- If the sandwich isn’t turning golden brown in the suggested time, increase the temperature of the oil to 350°F.
½ loaf of your favorite quality bread (I like Pullman and Brioche)
½ cup peanut butter, chunky or smooth
½ cup strawberry jelly (you can use grape or another flavor but strawberry rules 😊
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
½ cup milk
1 tbsp Tasic Sweet*
- Pour enough oil in a deep pot or deep-fryer to measure about 3 inches. Heat the oil to 325°F.
- Cut the bread into 8 slices, each about 1/4 inch thick. Go ahead and make 4 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. (If you are a human, you should know how to do this.) But for this fried version, be sure you don’t overload them with too much PB or J.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add 1/2 cup milk and Tastic sweet and whisk until a smooth batter forms. If necessary, add more milk to create a dippable consistency.
- When the oil is hot, make sure all the sandwiches are tightly closed. Then, working with 1 sandwich at a time, dip it into the batter and turn it gently to thoroughly coat it. Lift it from the batter and let the excess batter drip back into the bowl. Using tongs to hold the sandwich tightly on 1 end, submerge the sandwich halfway into the hot oil and fry for 15 seconds, then release the sandwich into the oil. It should now float. Fry the sandwich, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per side. Using the tongs, transfer the deep-fried PB&J to paper towels or a brown paper bag to drain. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
- Serve the warm sandwiches with butterscotch, if using, on the side for dipping.
Tastic spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones 😊
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE