Cosmic Apple Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls with Persimmon Glaze
1. This is one of those recipes where a mandoline comes in handy. It’s an easy way to get a consistent thin cut. So if you don’t have one, I recommend small dicing the apple instead.
2. I used Cosmic apples and it was AMAZING! But your average grocery store won’t have them. So any good baking apple like Granny Smith’s is a fine substitute.
3. Persimmons need to be as soft as jelly for this glaze. If they're too firm, let them stand at room temperature for a few days until fully ripe.
- 1 package yeast about 2 & 1/4 teaspoons
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Apple pie filling:
- 5 Cosmic apples peeled cut mandolins thin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Tastic Sweet
- 1/2 teaspoon apple spice optional
- Persimmon Glaze:
- 2 persimmons
- 1 tablespoon Tastic sweet
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
3. Turn the dough onto turn dough to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap, place in the microwave or oven ( turned off) for 90 minutes. Begin working on apple filling.When the dough has risen, remove the cover and punch it down then remove from the bowl. Roll out on a floured surface into a 16x24 inch rectangle.
While the dough is rising begin working on the apple filling. Heat a large skillet to medium/high heat and add 5 tablespoons of butter and stir until melted. Add the apples and sugar and saute until the apples are lightly caramelized. Remove the skillet from heat and set aside until you are ready to use.
Rinse soft-ripe persimmons. Cut them in half and scoop out the soft flesh; discard stems and peels. In a blender or food processor, whirl flesh until puréed (you need 1 1/2 cups; save any extra for other uses). In a 1- to 2-quart pan, mix glaze ingredients and add the 1 1/2 cups persimmon purée and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 4 minutes. Set aside for glazing.
*Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones 😊