MAJOR KEY: Don't marinate the steak for more than 8 hours though, or the fibers break down too much and the meat gets mushy. Mojo recipe makes about 1 1/4 cup.
2 pounds flank or skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat
1 recipe Mojo, recipe follows
Olive oil, for coating the grill or cast iron
16 (7-inch) corn tortillas
Shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce, for serving
Chopped white onion, for serving
Shredded Jack cheese, for serving
1/2 cup Pico de Gallo
2 limes, cut in wedges for serving
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 large handful fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 tbsp Tastic spice*
2 limes, juiced
1 lemon, juiced
1 pink grapefruit, juiced
1 orange, juiced
2 tbsps white vinegar
2 tbsps apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
- In a mortar and pestle or bowl, mash together the garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, and pepper to make a paste. Put the paste in a glass jar or plastic container. Add the lime juice, grapefruit juice, orange juice, vinegar, and oil. Shake it up really well to combine. Use as a marinade for chicken or beef or as a table condiment.
- Lay the flank steak in a large baking dish and pour the mojo over it. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 8 hours, so the flavors can sink into the meat.
- Preheat an cast iron skillet or a outdoor grill over medium-high flame. Brush the grates with a little oil to prevent the meat from sticking or pour a tablespoon of oil in cast iron. Pull the steak out of the mojo marinade and season the steak on both sides with Tastic spice. Grill (or broil) the steak for 7 to 10 minutes per side, turning once, until medium-rare. Remove the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes to allow the juices to settle. Thinly slice the steak across the grain on a diagonal.
- Warm the tortillas for 30 seconds on each side in a dry skillet or on the grill, until toasty and pliable.
- To make the tacos, stack up 2 of the warm tortillas, lay about 4 ounces of beef down the center, and sprinkle with some lettuce, onion, and cheese. Top each taco with a spoonful of the Pico de Gallo salsa and garnish with lime wedges. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Tastic spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones 😊
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE