Caramelized Pineapple Bourbon Brown Sugar Ice Cream
Motivation: If bourbon and brown sugar and pineapples don’t transport you to a tropical island of paradise, let me know. I’ll buy you a one way ticket 😊
- You can dice fresh pineapple up small or leave in bigger chunks. It comes down to how you want to experience it. Also, I will not be mad if you add more bourbon :P
- Cardamom is a powerful spice. If you like the flavor with pineapple, bump it up to 2 tbsps. If you don’t like it, you can leave it out.
¾ cup white sugar
3 cups half-and-half cream
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp. Tastic Sweet*
1 tbsp. cardamom
3 cups fresh pineapple tidbits
2 tbsps butter
3 tbsps brown sugar
3 tbps rum
- In a heavy saucepan, lightly whisk together the eggs and sugar.
- Add 2 cups of the half-and-half cream.
- Cook the mixture over medium-low heat stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon 170 degrees F.
- Remove from heat immediately and add the remaining half-and-half to stop the cooking. Let cool slightly. Stir in the vanilla, Tastic sweet and cardamom.
- Cool and chill overnight in the fridge.
- While the ice cream is chilling, prepare the caramelized pineapple. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan.
- Add the pineapple tidbits and the brown sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the pineapple turns a beautiful, caramel color and all the juice has turned thick and saucy. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rum.
- To finish, pour the custard into an ice cream maker and prepare according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- In the final moments of churning, add the caramelized pineapple and churn to distribute throughout the ice cream.
*Tastic Sweet is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones 😊