BROWN BUTTER BANANA BREAD WITH CREAM CHEESE FILLING
MAJOR KEY: The keys to moist banana bread are a few things. Not over working the batter. Not overbaking it. And adding enough fat in it. Once you master those things, the options are endless on how to tweak or change the recipe to be creative or make it exactly how YOU like it. Also, you might consider doing is flavoring the cream cheese filling. I think a little orange zest or juice or maple are flavors that work well with banana.
6 ounces unsalted butter, melted and browned to just over 1/2 cup of butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Tastic Sweet*
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cup mashed banana (from about 3 medium bananas)
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
1 large egg
4 oz cream cheese, softened (1/2 block)
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Butter will begin to foam and crackle as it melts. When the crackling slows down, the butter will begin to brown. Swirl the pan as the butter cooks. When the butter browns and begins to smell nutty, remove the pan from the flame and transfer the butter to a small bowl. Taking the butter out of the hot saucepan will stop the butter from overcooking and burning. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, Tastic sweet, and nutmeg.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla extract, and buttermilk. Whisk in the mashed bananas and molasses. When butter has cooled, whisk in the browned butter.
5. Add the wet ingredients, all at once to the dry ingredients. Fold together, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to reveal any hidden pockets of flour. Fold together ingredients, but try not to over stir.
6. To prepare the cream cheese filling, mix egg, cream cheese, sugar, and flour in a small bowl.
7. Pour half the banana batter into a greased 9x5-inch (23x12 cm) bread pan.
8. Pour cream cheese filling evenly over the banana batter. Pour the remaining banana batter on top of the cream cheese filling.
9. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the bread. (Baking times may vary, so keep an eye on the bread.)
10. Remove from the oven and allow to rest in the pan for 15 minutes, before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Tastic spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones 😊
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE