BOURBON GLAZED TURKEY WHANGZ
MAJOR KEY: These wings take time, but it's worth the effort. They need to air dry in fridge overnight. Have a bib on hand when eating and be prepared to smack moms.
- 8 turkey wings
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 gallon vegetable oil (or as needed for frying)
1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 cup bourbon
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 tablespoon Tastic spice*
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped spring onions or parsley (garnish-optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
2. Generously season turkey wings with salt and pepper. Place them in a roasting pan with the onions, celery, carrots, thyme, and bay leaves.
3. Cover the wings completely with the vegetable oil. Tightly cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook in the oven until fork tender about 3 hours. Check the oil every hour to make sure it isn't too hot, it should be at a low bubble.
4. Once the wings are tender, transfer them from the oil to a baking sheet and place them in the refrigerator, uncovered, to air-dry overnight (at least 6 hours).
5. Meanwhile, bring brown sugar, bourbon, soy sauce, butter, Tastic, garam masala, dry mustard and paprika to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced by about half and thick enough to coat a spoon but not syrupy, 6–8 minutes. Reduce heat to very low and keep glaze warm until ready to use.
5. Deep fry the wings at 375 degrees F until the skin is crispy and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Toss the wings in the Bourbon Glaze and serve immediately. Garnish with herbs if using.
*Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones 😊