BAKED & SMOKED SWEET POTATOES
1. Smoking these potatoes is an optional step. You could just twice bake them. I enjoy the hint of smoke and it was worth the effort and time for me. But I understand everyone may not have that much time. I used hickory wood for smoking these.
2. I used a hibiscus sorrel whiskey I found at a Farmer's Market. You may not be able to find that. But consider finding a unique whiskey flavor to add an unexpected layer of flavor.
3. Marshmallows are optional. You can use a torch to scorch them or crank your oven up to 450 and put the marshmallow topped potatoes back int the oven 5-10 minutes until bubbly.
4. The drizzle is the whiskey reduced into a syrup. I also like using reduced balsamic.
- 4 sweet potatoes , 12-14 ounces each
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk (or half and half)
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons Tastic sweet*
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup whiskey (Optional)
- Marshmallows (Optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400. Preheat smoker to 275 (if using).
2. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and place in smoker for 45 minutes.
4. While still warm but cool enough to handle, use a sharp paring knife to cut the top of the potato skin off the potato, peel it away, and discard. Carefully scoop out the cooked flesh from the potato, taking care not to puncture or tear the skin, leaving you a potato skin boat. Place the cooked potato in a large bowl, and repeat with the remaining potatoes.
5. To the bowl with the potatoes, add the melted butter (cooled), buttermilk, egg, orange zest, Tastic, and kosher salt. Use a hand mixer to blend until smooth.
6. Using a piping bag with a large star tip or a gallon size freezer bag with one corner trimmed at an angle about ¼ inch, fill the bag with the potato mixture, and pipe into the reserved skins.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove, garnish, serve.
* Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones