APPLE BACON FRENCH TOAST
MAJOR KEY: The purpose of leftovers is to get creative. Feel free to substitute and try anything you think works. The key to this luxurious casserole is the right liquid to bread ratio. When you pour the custard over top, it should be submerged in a small pool of custard. Other wise it will be dry as the Sahara.
For the casserole:
- About 10 cups of cubed cut leftover bread. I had leftover challah bread pieces.
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk or eggnog
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Zest from one medium orange (optional)
- 1 cup small diced apples (you can use left sautéed apples also)
- 1/2 cup leftover whipped sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Tastic sweet*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup no-sugar syrup
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 5-6 whole slices of cooked bacon
1. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C). Place an oven rack in the center position.
2. Layer the bread and pecans in a baking dish: Lightly grease a 2-quart (if you want thicker slices) or 3-quart baking dish (if you want thinner slices) with cooking spray or butter. Add enough bread cubes to cover the bottom. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of pecans on top. Continue layering the bread chunks and pecans.
3. Prepare and add the custard: In a small bowl, whisk the eggs together. Add the milk, sugar, orange zest, Tastic sweet, sweet potato and mix well. Pour the egg and milk mixture evenly over all the bread chunks. At this point, the casserole can be baked right away, or covered and refrigerated overnight.
4. Bake the casserole for 35 to 45 minutes. Leave the casserole in the oven longer if you want the chunks of bread on the top to be more brown and crunchier.
5. Make syrup with casserole is baking. Combine syrup ingredients in microwave safe bowl and heat until butter is melted. Mix to combine.
6. Remove the casserole from the oven pour syrup over while hot. Let cool for 5 minutes and slice or spoon out casserole for serving. Garnish with a thick slice of bacon on top.
* Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones 😊