TOMATO SOUP WITH GINGER AND MOZZARELLA CROUTONS
MAJOR KEY: Okay, there are a lot of ingredients in this recipe. Why? I consider tomato soup a blank slate for flavor. I like ginger (in particular) because it's good for you and pairs well with tomato. You can influence this soup a number of ways. Finish it with some balsamic if you like twang. Swap some of the tomato juice with coconut milk to give it a Caribbean vibe. Throw some guacamole on it! I mean really, go crazy.
1/4 cup minced shallots
3 tbsp minced fresh ginger, you can sub with ginger paste if you want
3 tbsp minced fresh garlic
6 tbsp (3/4 stick) butter
Two 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes, or leftover tomatoes diced up
One 432-ounce bottle or can tomato juice
3 to 4 tbsp brown sugar
1 or 2 tbsp chicken base, or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tbsp. red curry paste
1 cup sherry, optional
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 slices of bread, french, challah or brioche work well
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Throw in the shallots, ginger and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Now dump in the diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Add the tomato juice.
- Next - and this is important - in order to combat the acidity of the tomatoes add 3 to 4 tablespoons of brown sugar. Now, you'll want to start on the low side, then taste and add more as needed. Some tomatoes and juice have more of an acidic bite than others. (For what it's worth, and I realize it's not worth much, I use 6 tablespoons) Add curry paste and Tastic spice to taste.
- Next, add 1 or 2 tablespoons chicken base to the pot. I added 3, and it wound up being a little too much. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until reduced slightly.
- While simmering soup, preheat oven to 450 or broil. Spread shredded mozzarella on bread, dried oregano and bake until cheese is melted.
- Transfer soup to blender and blend until smooth. Return to pot over low heat.
- Add in the sherry if desired. Stir in the cream. Add the basil and parsley and stir.
- Cut mozzarella bread into cubes and add directly to soup or eat on the side.
Tastic spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones 😊