THAI FRIED BANANAS (KLUAI KHAEK)
3/4 cup sunflower oil or other neutral frying oil, more as needed
2 to 4 regular bananas (or 6 to 8 mini sweet bananas)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 plus 1/3 cup rice flour, more as needed, divided
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons dried shredded unsweetened coconut, more as needed, divided
1/3 cup cold water
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
Few drops vanilla
- Heat a wok or skillet with oil about 3/4 to 1-inch deep.
- Meanwhile, prepare the bananas by peeling and slicing them in half. Then slice each section in half again, but lengthwise this time.
- In a medium mixing bowl, place all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup of rice flour, cornstarch, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the shredded coconut and stir to combine.
- In a measuring cup, mix together cold water with baking soda until dissolved and pour into bowl with flour mixture.
- Add the egg and the vanilla. Stir well until fully combined.
- Place remaining 1/3 cup rice flour in a separate, dry bowl and add remaining one tablespoon shredded coconut. Mix well and set next to the batter.
- Dip banana pieces first in the batter, then gently dredge them in the rice flour-coconut mixture. This last step helps firm up the batter and is the secret to creating a crisp, rather than soggy, coating. (Depending on the size of your bananas, you might need to make more of this rice flour-coconut mixture.) You're now ready for frying.
- Make sure the oil is hot (350 to 375 F). You can test it with a breadcrumb. If it sizzles and cooks within a few seconds, the oil is hot enough for frying.
- Carefully place coated bananas in the hot oil. Fry approximately 1 minute per side, or until batter puffs up slightly and turns light- to medium-golden brown. Remove from heat and drain on paper towel.
- Serve your fried bananas as soon as possible as is, or with a side of coconut or vanilla ice cream. For a fancier presentation, place them on a serving platter and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Subscribe to my TASTEMADE Makers Subscription service. Click HERE for exclusive content!