SWEET POTATO SHORTCAKE WITH BRANDIED APPLES & NUTMEG CREAM
MAJOR KEY: Assemble when ready to serve. If you assemble too early the biscuits can get too soggy. The mixing bowl you use for the whipped cream is best cold. Stick it in the freezer while you make everything else.
- 4 Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 3 tablespoons Brandy liquor
- ¼ teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 red apples (I used Gala apples)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon Tastic Sweet*
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1. Peel, slice, and core your apples. (I cut the apples in wedges and sometimes slices. The choice is yours.)
2. Mix together 1 tablespoon of the Brandy with the cornstarch, and set aside.
3. Next, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter. After the butter melts, add the brown sugar to the melted butter. Cook this butter/sugar mixture for a few seconds until the sugar completely dissolves (make sure to stir the mixture while the sugar melts).
4. Then, mix in the brandy/cornstarch mixture, vanilla, nutmeg, allspice, and Tastic into the sugar mixture. Next add your sliced apples to the saucepan, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until desired tenderness. Once apples have cooked remove the apples from heat.
5. Add the last two tablespoons of Brandy to the apples and stir. Let the apples sit for about 2 minutes.
6. Place heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and nutmeg in a small mixing bowl (metal is best). Using a hand mixer or standing one, whip cream until stiff. When you can flip the bowl upside down and it stays, you're done.
7. Split sweet potato biscuits in half. Top bottom half with a scoop of apples and then cream. Top with biscuit top and serve.
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE