SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI
FOR THE GNOCCHI
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes (2 medium)
- 1/4 c. ricotta
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
FOR THE MAPLE BACON SAUCE
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. bourbon
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika, plus more for serving
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving
- Chopped fresh herbs
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes, then pierce all over with a fork. Cook until tender and creamy by oven or microwave. Let cool slightly.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut in half and scoop out insides. Discard skins. Run potatoes through a ricer or mash well with a fork.
- In a large bowl, combine riced potatoes, ricotta, maple, salt, paprika, pepper, nutmeg, and egg until smooth. Fold in whole wheat flour and gradually add all-purpose flour until a soft dough forms, ¼ cup at a time. Cover and chill for 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece into a long rope, about ½” in diameter. Cut ropes into 1” pieces and place on a lightly floured baking sheet. If desired, roll gnocchi along the tines of a fork to create ridges.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook gnocchi in batches until it floats to the top, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Transfer bacon pieces to a plate and keep 2 tablespoons bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add butter and cooked gnocchi to skillet and fry until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer gnocchi to a plate.
- Add maple, bourbon, and smoked paprika to skillet and cook until saucy, about 2 minutes. Toss cooked gnocchi in the sauce to coat evenly.
- Garnish with Parmesan, more paprika, and herbs if desired before serving.
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE