SWEET POTATO BISCUITS
MAJOR KEY: Make sure the butter is ice cold. Typically, I keep some butter in the freezer. After mixing flour and butter set the flour mixture back in the fridge to chill for 15-30 minutes.
1 ¾ cup flour
2 tbsps. brown sugar
2 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp., plus 1 tsp. Tastic Sweet*
6 tbsps. chilled butter cut into pieces
¾ cup sweet potato puree, in a can or this recipe CLICK HERE
1/3 cup buttermilk
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Using a pastry cutter, fork or fingers, cut in the chilled butter, until it looks like coarse meal, with some pea sized butter pieces remaining.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sweet potato puree and buttermilk.
- Then add the sweet potato/buttermilk mixture to the flour.
- Stir with a fork, but don't over mix.
- Then turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead into a ball. It is supposed to be lumpy - that's what makes them so buttery and crumbly! DO NOT OVERWORK THE DOUGH!
- Then flatten to about 1 inch thick. The disc should be big enough to get 6-8 biscuits cut out of it (depending on how greedy you are).
- Using a biscuit cutter, knife or some other circle shape (like a cup), cut out biscuits. Make sure to use all the dough.
- In a preheated 425 degree oven, bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan half way through baking.
- Melt 2 tbsps. of butter in a microwave. Stir in 1 tsp. Tastic sweet. Use a pastry brush or spoon to spread butter over biscuits just as they come out the oven.
* Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones