STRAWBERRY CREAM PIE WITH CUSTARD FILLING
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk (scalded)
- 2 large eggs (slightly beaten)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9-inch) pastry shell (baked and cooled)
- 1 pint/2 cups strawberries (washed, hulled, and halved)
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipped and sweetened, or 2 cups prepared whipped topping)
Gather the ingredients.
In the top of a double boiler, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt; gradually add scalded milk and cook over the simmering water, stirring constantly, until thickened.
Add a small amount of the hot milk mixture to the beaten eggs; whisk in quickly.
Pour the egg mixture into the hot milk mixture in a double boiler. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
Remove from the heat. Add the butter and vanilla extract and mix to combine completely. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
Pour chilled custard mixture into the cooled baked pastry shell.
Arrange halved strawberries over the filling, reserving some for garnish. Chill again.
Spread sweetened whipped cream over the top just before serving. Garnish with reserved halved berries.
Serve and enjoy!
Subscribe to my TASTEMADE Makers Subscription service. Click HERE for exclusive content!