Sticky Asian Five Spice Pork Ribs
I think the term finger lickin came about when one day someone made a rib. Listen, if the rib doesn’t make you lick your finger clean I don’t want it! Your motivation is simple. Learn how to make it and then you won’t have to rely on a barbecue party before you have one. It’s a win-win.
- Know what a spare rib is…lol
- Pair this with a juicy black cherry Shiraz.
- If you’re going to try and do this in an oven try 375. Cover for the first 10 minutes with foil and then remove and check every 10 minutes. Flip ribs as they char on flat side.
Asian five spice rub
3 tbsps. Chinese five-spice powder
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 tbsp. Tastic spice original*
1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. smoked paprika
4 lbs. pork spareribs
1/3 cup Asian Five-Spice Rub
½ cup hoisin sauce
1 tbsp sambal (chili paste)
2 tbsps. ketchup
3 tbsps. molasses
Toasted sesame seeds, garnish (optional)
Chopped green onion, garnish (optional)
- Make spice rub.
- Using a sharp knife, make 1/4-inch-deep slashes in the rib meat between the bones, without cutting through. Spread all but 1 tablespoon of the spice rub over the ribs and into the slashes and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the hoisin sauce, molasses, chili paste, ketchup and the remaining 1 tablespoon of spice rub and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, then transfer to a bowl.
- Light a grill. Lightly brush the ribs with oil and grill over a moderately high fire, turning frequently, until the ribs are sizzling and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Brush the ribs with half of the hoisin glaze and grill for 2 minutes longer. Transfer the ribs to a cutting board and cut in between the bones. Serve the ribs with the remaining hoisin glaze on the side. Garnish is toasted sesame seeds and or chopped green onion if desired.
*Tastic spice is available at www.chefjjackson.com