SPRING SALAD WITH STRAWBERRIES
- 1 large or 2 medium watermelon radishes, trimmed
- Fine sea salt
- 1 bunch (about 1 lb.) thin asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tsp. clementine zest
- 1/4 cup fresh clementine juice (from about 2 clementines)
- 1 Tbs. clover blossom honey (preferably local)
- 1-1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 4-1/2 oz. Little Gem or romaine hearts, torn (8 lightly packed cups)
- 8 oz. strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 Tbs. fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful fresh chives, sliced into 1-inch pieces (about 1/3 cup)
- Slice the radishes paper thin (you will have a scant cup), and then put in a small bowl with enough cold water to cover.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil with 1 tsp. of salt in a medium skillet; add the asparagus and simmer until just crisp-tender, about 90 seconds. Immediately drain in a colander and run cold water over the asparagus to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the clementine zest and juice, honey, vinegar, and a few pinches of salt.
- When ready to toss the salad, thinly slice the blanched asparagus on the diagonal, leaving the tips whole. Transfer to a large salad bowl with the lettuce and strawberries. Drizzle the oil over the salad and toss to coat. Drain the radishes and pat dry; add to the salad, drizzle with the clementine mixture, and toss gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the chives and serve.
Subscribe to my TASTEMADE Makers Subscription service. Click HERE for exclusive content!