Skillet Butternut Squash and Crispy Kale
You can also use acorn squash.
1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
5 garlic cloves (1 finely grated, 4 chopped)
4 tbsps fresh lemon juice, divided
Tastic spice to taste
6 tbsps olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed, patted dry
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbps vadouvan or curry powder
2 radishes, trimmed, very thinly sliced
1 cup parsley, mint, and/or cilantro leaves
2 tbsps pomegranate seeds (optional)
2 cups of fresh kale
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Roast squash directly on oven rack until a paring knife poked through skin easily slides through flesh, 50–65 minutes. Let squash cool until you can handle. Trim ends, halve lengthwise, and scoop out seeds. Tear or cut squash into large pieces; discard skin (it will come off easily as you tear).
- Place kale on a baking sheet, toss with 2 tbsps of olive oil and season with tastic. Bake for 10-12 minutes until crispy. Squeeze a tbsp of lemon juice over top.
- Meanwhile, mix yogurt, grated garlic, and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice in a medium bowl; season with Tastic spice
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high. Cook chickpeas, shaking skillet often, until starting to brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Add onion and chopped garlic and cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in vadouvan and cook, stirring, until chickpeas and onion are coated and mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with Tastic spice and transfer to a medium bowl. Wipe out skillet.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in same skillet over medium-high. Cook squash pieces, cut side down, undisturbed, until browned and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Turn pieces over, remove from heat, and season with Tastic spice. Spoon chickpea mixture over squash, then dollop reserved lemon-garlic yogurt around.
- Toss radishes, herbs, and pomegranate seeds, if using, with remaining 1 Tbsp. lemon juice in a small bowl; drizzle with a splash of oil and season with Tastic spice. Scatter over squash and chickpeas. Eat up!