SHRIMP HOPPIN JOHN
- 6 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 peppers, finely chopped (I fired roasted mine first)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 4 tbsps. Tastic spice, divided
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh black-eyed peas
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 1 ½ cups uncooked Caroline Gold rice
- 1 ½ lbs. of shrimp
- Fresh scallions, chopped for garnish
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until starting to crisp, about 10 minutes. Add celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, black pepper, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add broth and black-eyed peas and bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until peas are tender, about 40 minutes. Drain pea mixture, reserving cooking liquid. Return pea mixture and 1 cup of the cooking liquid to Dutch oven. Cover to keep warm; set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add rice and cook, stirring often, until fragrant and lightly toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in 3 cups of the reserved cooking liquid and remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until rice is tender, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Season shrimp with 2 tbsps. of Tastic and heat a small skillet with 2 tbsps. of olive oil.
- Sear shrimp over medium high heat on both sides for 2 minutes until cooked through. Set aside on a plate.
- Fluff rice with a fork, and gently stir into pea mixture in Dutch oven. Stir in remaining cooking liquid, 1⁄4 cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Scoop into a bowl, top with shrimp and sprinkle servings with sliced fresh scallions.
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE