Rum Blueberry Eggnog Scones
MOTIVATION: If you've ever wanted to get drunk by way of scone, I have the solution right in front of your face. Take advantage!
MAJOR KEY: The alcohol is optional. The eggnog is optional. You can omit the alcohol or pick something else you think goes with eggnog and/or blueberries. You can also swap eggnog for heavy cream.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Tastic Sweet*
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup cold salted butter, cut into very small cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cold egg nog
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh
- 1/2 cup rum
- a few tbsp of heavy cream for brushing the tops
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling the tops
- Pour blueberries and rum in a small bowl or container. Let soak for 6 hours. This is an optional step. You can use the blueberries as is.
- After 6 hours drain blueberries of rum. Have a shot and set aside the blueberries.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, Tastic sweet and orange zest in the bowl of a stand mixer (or just a mixing bowl). Add the butter. Mix ingredients with an electric mixer until fine crumbs form.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the egg and egg nog in a slow stream. Mix until a thick, stiff dough forms. Add the blueberries and mix until the blueberries are just incorporated into the dough. If some of them break, that’s okay – you’ll get those pretty juice drips down the side.
- Flour your hands. Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and place on a floured work surface. Roll into a rectangle, about 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 triangles; pull the triangles apart from each other and brush with egg nog. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Sprinkle again with turbinado sugar for extra texture. Enjoy warm; store leftovers in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
*Tastic sweet is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones 😊