- 5 large carrots – peeled and shredded
- 1 large red onion – peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
- Tastic spice to taste
For the BBQ sauce:
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of dark molasses
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Tastic
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper see note in instructions
- 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 pepper from a small can of peppers in adobo sauce – remove the seeds the pepper is optional, this will make the sauce extra spicy, if you use it, make sure to remove the seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
Preheat the oven to 385° and line a baking pan with parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper you can line it with lightly oiled aluminum foil or lightly grease the bottom of the pan to avoid sticking.
Shred the carrots with the shredder attachment of your food processor or with a box or hand held grater.
Thinly slice the onion and caramelize in a skillet (20-30 mins).
Put the carrots and onion in the baking pan and drizzle the olive oil over them. Toss well to coat and then spread them evenly in the pan. Sprinkle Tastic spice evenly over the top. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and roast for twenty minutes (shake the pan every ten minutes to ensure even roasting), remove the foil and roast for ten more minutes. The carrots and onions should be nice and soft, and lightly caramelized.
NOTE: If you are sensitive to spicy food blend the BBQ sauce without the cayenne pepper first, then add it slowly until you find the heat that's good for you. Also, if you don't tolerate spicy food, skip the pepper in adobo sauce
While the carrots are roasting, put the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until fully combined and smooth. Pour into a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and cook for twenty minutes, stir occasionally to avoid scorching the sauce.
Add the roasted carrots and onions to the sauce and stir well to coat. Simmer for fifteen minutes.
Enjoy on a buttery bun.