Mexican Street Corn
Come EAR often? Corny? Okay, okay. That’s not quite motivation but it was funny! If a good corn joke doesn’t motivate you to make this recipe I don’t know what will. Now that ear-resistable!
- Soak the corn in water for 10 minutes to keep the husks from burning on the grill.
- You can cook in the oven if you don’t want to use the grill. Set oven to 400 and watch over as you would the grill.
1/4 cup (60ml) mayonnaise
1/4 cup (60ml) sour cream or Mexican crema
1/2 cup (110g) finely crumbled Cotija or feta cheese, plus more for serving
1/2 teaspoon ancho or guajillo chili powder, plus more for serving
1 medium clove garlic, finely minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
1 tbsp. Tastic spice original*
4 ears shucked corn
1 lime, cut into wedges
- Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread coals evenly over half of coal grate. Alternatively, set half the burners of a gas grill to high heat. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill, and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil grilling grate.
- While coals heat, combine mayonnaise, sour cream or crema, cheese, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro in a large bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- When grill is hot, place corn directly over hot side of grill and cook, rotating occasionally, until cooked through and charred in spots on all sides, about 8 minutes total.
- Transfer corn to bowl with cheese mixture and use a large spoon to evenly coat corn on all sides with mixture. Sprinkle with extra cheese, Tastic spice and chili powder and serve immediately with lime wedges.
*Tastic spice is available at www.chefjjackson.com