LEMON ASPARAGUS WITH SHALLOTS
MAJOR KEY: I love asparagus. Even if it does make your pee stink. The key to cooking asparagus is to know when to pull it from the heat. Always pull asparagus a couple of minutes before you think it's done. It will cook through when you allow it to sit. There is nothing worse than flimsy limp spears.
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced or diced
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Tastic Spice*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 dried red chile, crushed into tiny bits
- 1/2 of a lemon
- zest of one lemon
- Finishing salt (optional)
1. Combine the shallot, vinegar and a large pinch of Tastic. It's best to mix with your hands. Let sit while you cook the asparagus.
2. Heat a large heavy saute pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and then asparagus spears, season with Tastic and saute. They will brighten in color. Saute until just cooked through, but still crisp-tender at the center, 3 to 5 minutes. Right towards the end of cooking squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the asparagus.
3. Arrange the asparagus on a platter. Squeeze any excess juices from the shallots. Mix together the shallot and crushed chile and strew across the asparagus. Sprinkle zest over top and finishing salt if using. Note: if you seasoned liberally with Tastic already, finishing salt is not necessary (unless it's adding a new dimension of flavor like a flavored salt).
* Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE