JERK STUFFED PLANTAINS WITH GUAVA BUTTER
MAJOR KEY: This recipe is for sweet plantains (Maduros). This won't work well with Green plantains.
- 2-3 ripe plantains
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ pound soy chorizo
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1 small green yellow or red pepper
- 2 tablespoon parsley
- ½ cup grated vegan cheese, optional
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish, optional
- Cooking spray
- Tastic spice as needed
- 2 tablespoons wet jerk
- 3 tablespoons Guava butter
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line baking sheets with foil and coat with cooking spray or oil.
- Using a sharp knife, cut both ends off the plantain. This will make it easy to grab the skin of the plantains. Slit a shallow line down the long seam of the plantain, peel only as deep as the peel. Remove plantain peel by pulling back.
Place plantains on tray and brush the jerk sauce over the entire plantain, bake for about 15, turn and bake on the other side for another 15 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
While the plantains are baking, add 2 tablespoon of oil to a sauce pan, followed by onions, garlic and tomato sauce. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning, add about ½ cup of water if needed.
Then, add chorizo and beans and continue cooking for about 10 or more minutes.
Finally add green pepper and parsley, adjust for seasoning
Remove baked plantains from oven cool and immediately glaze with guava and butter. Let cool for a couple of minutes, make a horizontal slit in the plantains, stuff with equal amounts of chorizo mixture.
Sprinkle with cheese, if desire place in oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm. Sprinkle with fresh chopped chives if using.
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE