- 1 cup (7 ounces; 200g) uncooked long-grain white rice
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable or other neutral oil, divided
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces; 70g) finely diced yellow onion (about half an 8-ounce/225g onion)
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces; 45g) finely diced green bell pepper (about one quarter of an 8-ounce/225g pepper)
- 1/4 cup (1 1/4 ounces; 35g) finely diced celery (about 1 large rib)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound (225g) ground pork, beef, or spicy breakfast sausage (if using sausage, remove casings)
- 1 pound (450g) mixed chicken giblets, such as liver, gizzard, and hearts
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a 2-quart saucepan, rinse rice with multiple changes of cold water until the water begins to turn clear. Drain rice well, return to saucepan, and cover with 2 cups (475ml) cold water along with a pinch of salt.
- Set saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, stir rice once, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Let rice stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork; set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a 10- or 12-inch cast iron or stainless-steel skillet, heat 1 tablespoon (15ml) oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and season with salt. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften and onion becomes slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, for 1 minute longer.
- Add the ground meat or sausage, season lightly with salt, then increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring and breaking up chunks of meat with a wooden spoon, until meat is fully cooked and begins to brown in spots, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Scrape vegetables and meat onto a heatproof platter and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet, add remaining 1 tablespoon (15ml) oil and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chicken giblets and season lightly with salt. Cook, stirring often, until they are fully cooked through and browned on all sides, about 10 minutes (you can check doneness by cutting a thicker piece of giblet in half). Remove from heat.
- Working in batches, if necessary, transfer giblets to food processor or blender and pulse, scraping down sides as necessary, until very finely minced and almost smooth, about 2 minutes. If you don't have a blender or food processor, you can very finely mince the giblets with a knife after letting them cool.
- Wipe out the skillet once more. Return vegetable-meat mixture and processed giblets to skillet. Set over medium heat and stir in black pepper, ground sage, paprika, and cayenne.
- Stir in rice and season with salt, if needed. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, until all ingredients are incorporated and rice is fluffy and has taken on an even brown tint, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
Subscribe to my TASTEMADE Makers Subscription service. Click HERE for exclusive content!