CRISPY SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH
- 4 catfish fillets (about 3-4 ounces each)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt (I use Lawry's brand)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Optional garnish: lemon wedges and fresh parsley
- Combine cornmeal, seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a shallow dish.
- Pour milk into a separate dish.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip a catfish fillet in the milk, and shake off any excess.
- Transfer milk-soaked fish to the cornmeal mixture and gently roll to coat on both sides.
- Repeat with remaining fillets.
- Place fish in the hot skillet and cook until golden brown on each side (about 5-7 minutes per side). The fish will flake easily with a fork when it’s done.
- Depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to cook the fish in batches. Don't overcrowd the skillet! Feel free to wipe out the pan and use additional butter/oil, as necessary, for subsequent batches.
- Drain fish on paper towels.
- Serve warm, garnished with chopped fresh parsley and a lemon wedge, if desired.
Subscribe to my TASTEMADE Makers Subscription service. Click HERE for exclusive content!