CRISPY FRIED SHALLOTS
- 8 small shallots, peeled
- Vegetable oil (for frying; about 1¼ cups)
- Kosher salt
- Set a fine-mesh strainer over a medium heatproof bowl. Thinly slice shallots crosswise into rings on a mandoline (they should be about the thickness of a dime).
- Place shallots in a medium saucepan and pour in oil to submerge. Set over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often with a fork to encourage rings to separate, until shallots are golden brown, 20–25 minutes. (Keep an eye on them; once they start to brown they’ll darken fast.)
- Pour shallots into strainer to drain, then transfer to paper towels. Season with salt and let cool. Reserve shallot oil for another use, like vinaigrettes, stir-fries, and soups.
- Do Ahead: Shallots can be fried 5 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
Subscribe to my TASTEMADE Makers Subscription service. Click HERE for exclusive content!