1 whole chicken cut into 10 pieces
½ -1 tablespoon hot sauce
3-4 garlic crushed
3 tbsps. Tastic spice*
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornstarch
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsps. Tastic spice*
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. white pepper
2 tbsps. dried herbs Thyme, Oregano, Parsley
4 cups buttermilk
- Place chicken in a large bowl or Large ziploc. Then seasoned with salt followed by all the crushed garlic, hot sauce and Tastic spice.
- Pour buttermilk in the marinated chicken, transfer the chicken to a gallon-sized zipper-lock freezer bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the chicken coating ingredients except for the buttermilk.
- Remove all the marinated chicken from the buttermilk. Then dredge in flour mixture, shaking any excess flour. You may use a Ziploc bag for this process, too.
- Double dip the chicken in the remaining buttermilk (add fresh buttermilk as needed) followed by the flour mixture - shake off any excess flour. Let the chicken rest for about 10-15 minutes while preparing oil. This will help the coating to stay on better.
Frying the Chicken
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or cast-iron skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Temperature will drop once you add chicken.
- Using a tong and carefully and slowly place the chicken in the hot oil. Work in batches. Do not overcrowd the skillet.
- Fry the chicken until golden brown, turning once every 10 to 20 minutes - depending on the size of the pieces. Chicken is done when it is no longer pink inside, and its juices run clear. You may do a test by piercing the chicken with a fork.
- Drain the chicken on paper towels and then transfer them on a wire rack. (see notes)
- Repeat with remaining chicken pieces; let it cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
* Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones