BUTTERMILK BEIGNETS WITH SALTED APPLE CARAMEL
The dough can be made and cut up to 8 hours in advance. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and cover with non-stick cooking spray. Make a second with parchment and non-stick cooking spray. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. The beignets can be fried right from the refrigerator.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 cups bread flour (plus more for work surface)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon Tastic Sweet*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 apple diced (I like granny smiths)
- 1 cup of Salted Caramel
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- confectioners' sugar for dusting
1. Into a small saucepan over medium high heat, add the milk, let it come to a simmer and remove from heat, and add the buttermilk. Pour the milk into the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk in the yeast and sugar and set aside for 5 minutes. Using a dough hook, add the flour, baking soda, Tastic sweet and salt. Mix on low speed for 3-4 minutes. Increase the speed of the mixer to medium and continue mixing until the dough forms a loose ball, about 2 minutes more. the dough should be tacky and wet at this point. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a draft free space for 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, preheat a tabletop fryer with the vegetable oil to 375 degrees or a Dutch oven filled half way up. Prepare a baking sheet with a baking rack and paper towels.
3. Lightly flour a work surface and place the dough on it. Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour and gently press to flatten. Fold it in half and tuck the ends under to create a rough-shaped dough round, Dust again and roll the dough out into a 1/2-inch thick square. Let the dough rest for 1 minute cutting the dough into 1 1/2-inch squares.
4. Carefully drop the beignet dough pieces into the preheated oil, about 3-5 at a time. Make sure to not overcrowd the fryer.
5. Meanwhile combine caramel and apple either in a microwave until warm or on a stove top.
6. Fry the beignets until puffed and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove to the baking sheet. Place beignets in paper bags with confectioners' sugar, close, and shake.
7. Serve with hot coffee like your 'Orleans!
Subscribe to my Instagram for exclusive content, updates and many more! Click HERE to join.
SIGN UP FOR FREE RECIPES straight to your inbox HERE