BEEFY FRENCH ONION SLIDERS
MAJOR KEY: When you're caramelizing the onions you can speed up the process by adding a couple of tablespoons of sugar. It's not mandatory, but an option.
8 tbsps (1 stick) butter, divided
2 large sweet onions, sliced
2 lbs ground beef
2 tbsps beef base (such as Better than Boullion), divided
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, divided
Tastic spice to taste*
24 slider buns
12-16 ozs gruyere cheese, chopped
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, optional
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp harissa, optional
1 tsp garlic powder
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the onions and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized, about 25-30 minutes. If the onions start to look dry or burnt, add a tablespoon of water to the pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef with half of the beef base and half of the Worcestershire sauce. Season with Tastic spice.
- Add the beef to the skillet full of onions. Increase heat to medium-high and brown the beef, breaking it up and mixing with the onions as you go. Once browned, drain off excess grease.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet. Separate the tops from the bottoms of the slider buns. Fit the slider bottom buns tightly on the baking sheet.
- Evenly distribute the beef and onion mixture over the bottom buns. Top with the gruyere cheese. Cover with the top buns.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter with the remaining beef base. Stir in the remaining Worcestershire sauce and continue to mix until well-combined. Using a pastry brush, brush the beefy butter mixture over the top buns. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, thyme,harissa, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Bake the sliders until the cheese is fully melted and the tops of the rolls are lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
* Tastic Spice is available HERE
Do me a favor? If you decide to be great and make this recipe, take a pic and share it on Instagram and tag me (@mrfoodtastic) and use the hashtag #mrfoodtastic so I can see just how amazing you are. I repost my favorite ones